fbpx

Achieve your fitness goals with the 80/20 diet

Achieve your fitness goals with the 80/20 diet

 By MyFitConcierge

What if eating your favourite foods like pasta, pizza, cookies, ice cream or burgers could help you achieve your fitness goals? No worries, it’s not a new fad diet or a magic trick!
It’s the 80/20 rule

How it works?

The equation is simple. You eat healthily 80% of the time; for the remaining 20% you can have whatever you like.

As a rough example, you have a pepperoni pizza with ice cream for dessert on a Friday night (but eat healthily during the remaining part of the week),
or you have a bowl of chips on a Wednesday, a beer on a Friday at a pub and a piece of cake on a Sunday (and eat healthily during the remaining time).

It makes sense that if you want to lose weight and preserve a healthy long-term lifestyle, depriving yourself of all treats isn’t sustainable. Instead of feeling guilty, apply the 80/20 rule.

Your 80% healthy meals consist only of nutritious and natural foods like whole grains, lean meat, fish, nuts, vegetables and fruits. No processed food, no added sugars and no double whipped cream macchiato with chocolate on top!

This method is perfect if you’re physically active, and if you practice strength training at least 2 to 3 times a week.
Exercise will balance the extra calories you consume in your “20% foods”.

It’s all about perspective.

It’s Friday night, and you have dinner with your friends at an Italian restaurant. There are salads on the menu, but everyone ordered pizzas or pasta.
You’ve been making a significant effort to eat more healthily for the past week, but you choose to eat pizza too, even though you know it’s unhealthy.
Afterwards, you feel guilty and miserable; then you overdo it with fried foods and ice cream the next day.
You think that you ruined your diet with this pizza and you give up on healthy eating.

Following the 80/20 rule, your approach will be different. This pizza is part of your 20%.
When you think this way, you appreciate this delicious pizza with your friends and go back to eating healthily afterwards, without it making you feel like you are cheating on your diet.

Conclusion

It’s all about finding a balance, don’t try to be perfect 100% of the time, try to be good the majority of the time.

Let’s Start Talking ! 

0 Comments

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

20 − seven =